Tuesday 31 October 2017

Damn American influence

So it's Halloween and my neighbours are busy preparing for the evening's onslaught by laying in baskets full of goodies and decorating their houses in an effort to placate the night's callers.

Happy Halloween - Ba! Humbug!
 It all looks so innocent doesn't it?

Pumpkins - Bloody Americans, what ever happened to Turnips?
Time was a time when Halloween actually meant something here in Britain, especially to those from the non-mainstream religions. Over the last 25 to 30 years the whole thing has become so American influenced a once quiet night of innocent fun has turned into a nightmare event for the old, the lonely or the nervous thanks to gangs of marauding kids roaming the streets screaming and shouting, banging on people's doors (I use the term 'kids' lightly).

I'm particularly pissed off by the wilful damage wreaked upon the householder when the Trick or Treaters don't get what they want and that's increasing money, not sweets. No I'm not talking about the odd egg or a handful of flour thrown as a trick, I'm talking about smashed windows, broken wing mirrors and scratched paintwork, uprooted plants and shrubs, broken bottles and tortured pets. If it was up to me the whole Halloween nonsense would be banned! Of course that's just wishful thinking on my part.

I refuse to get involved. Bang on my door at your peril!

This is the only pumpkin I'd put outside my front door

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.