Friday 21 July 2017

The early bird...

It has already been a remarkable summer for soft fruit here in the UK with an abundance currants, raspberries and strawberries. Some varieties of blackberries are just starting to ripen now too and from the look of the bushes there will be a very heavy crop later in the season.

Ripening Blackberries
What has surprised me a little, given the various other foodstuffs currently available, was seeing a starling taking unripe berries off the bush. I'd have thought them to be both hard and unpalatable, but it didn't seem to deter the bird. On closer inspection I could see the removal of berries had obviously been going on for some time...

Unripe berry stubs
It makes me wonder whether birds ever suffer the effects of colic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.