Monday 24 July 2017

Physiotherapy is such a confusing business

I had a session with a physiotherapist this morning and have to admit I came away just a little confused with life.

The therapist asked me all kinds of questions relating to my my current lifestyle, my hobbies, what exercises I had been given by the hospital and details of the things I had been up to since my plaster came off. He also queried what I had done for a living when I was still working and asked about any previous hobbies. I answered honestly, then had a good look at my hand.

I got a telling off for having made too much use of my right hand in the last week or so and also for doing a wrist exercise that I shouldn't be doing. But wait a minute, I was told to do the exercise by the physiotherapist at the hospital so surely it must be right? Oh no Mr Page, you shouldn't be using your wrist at all at this stage! Hmmmm.

The physiotherapist then demonstrated three new exercises he wanted me to practice over the next couple of weeks until I see him again. These new exercises are in addition to the exercises I had previously been given. Two of the new exercises involve putting pressure on the base of the thumb to prevent the joint moving. Finally he gave the scar tissue a massage and told me I should massage the area as many times a day as I felt comfortable with. He instructed me to wear a splint and use the hand as little as possible over the next two weeks. No lifting, no carrying. Don't even use the hand to lift a cup or hold cutlery. Bear in mind I had been told by the hospital only to wear a splint if I was in pain and to use my hand normally as much as possible, so the new advice seems a bit strange.

Now here's the thing, until I attended this morning's session my right hand was pain free. On a scale of one to ten where ten is the most severe I'd say my current pain level was eight. The base of my thumb has swollen, a purple bruise is starting to form and the knuckle joint aches. The back of hand hurts and I can no longer straighten my fingers without it causing a stabbing pain. In short I now have restricted movement and pain where previously I didn't. I'm not saying the therapist I saw today doesn't know his business, but to be given such conflicting information is somewhat confusing for the patient, isn't it? And what's the pain all about? Is this a case of "if it hurts it's doing you good?" Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.