Tuesday 25 July 2017

Is that a Triffid in my garden?

A large patch of my garden has been commandeered by a self-seeded plant. When we first noticed it growing we could see from the leaf that it was some kind of squash, so the decision was taken to leave it in the ground and allow it to grow... we had no idea back then how big it would get!

The (still growing) Beast
As you can see it is just starting to flower now so we should be able to identify the thing soon... I do wonder if it's a pumpkin?

For scale - my left hand against a leaf
I'm sure the leaves are too big for any kind of melon and they're the wrong shape for a member of the courgette or marrow family. It's definitely not a cucumber!

I'll keep you posted as the fruits develop, but mean time I'm thinking about having a go a cooking Muboora.

Squash & Pumpkin leaves are not only edible they are high in calcium and also are a good source of vitamins A, B6, C, protein, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and manganese. They can be eaten raw but cooking brings out the true flavour of the leaf. The younger leaves are more prized during the beginning of the season as they are very tender. Larger leaves of certain varieties may need deveining. They can be steamed like spinach, sauteed in some olive oil with garlic and salt or used in a stir-fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.