Friday 26 August 2016

Spirit beings of the golf course

I don't know how many golf courses in the UK feature totem poles, but one of the courses local to me does.

Dewstow Totem Pole
This is the totem pole that stands on what was the Park Course at Dewstow golf club. As you probably know a totem (Ojibwe dodaem) is a spirit being, sacred object, or symbol that serves as an emblem of a group of people, such as a family, clan, lineage, or tribe. I do wonder why a golf club would consider squirrels, rabbits and owls as sacred objects or spirit beings, but the pole is quite interesting and I guess a bunch of golfers might be considered a tribe...

Squirrels and Rabbits
The totem pole was carved by Bob Davies from a dead 60 foot Sequoia back in 1993 and is looking a little worse for wear now.

Squirrels and Owls
The base of the pole has become overgrown with ivy and bramble so much of the lower detail is now covered as is the commemorative stone, a bit of a shame in my opinion.

Best not to forget the Buzzard and the Seagull!
So, does your local golf course have a totem pole? No? Perhaps a few helpful spirit guides would help your swing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.