Thursday 30 June 2016

Showing off for the ladies

My early mornings have been enhanced these last few days by the crowing of the cockerels who live 'wild' around my holiday cottage. I say wild because unlike the hens who are all cooped at night, the cocks seem to be left to their own devices and roost in the trees surrounding the property. I'm not even sure how many there are, but I have identified at least six different males. Believe me when I tell you they put on quite a show for the ladies of a morning starting well before the sun is up and continuing into the day.

My very own Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn
This chap lured one of his girls onto the patio furniture to strut his stuff. His dishevelled appearance and curmudgeonly attitude reminded me a little of the character Rooster Cogburn from the book True Grit, since made famous on the big screen by the late John Wayne among others.

I don't think she was very impressed!
I'm not sure it did him much good... perhaps it's his somewhat bedraggled tail feathers that are putting her off?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I'll be sure to reply.